Our Company Blog

Mold & Your Chimney

Most people realize that mold can grow in places like windows and bathrooms, but do not realize that even your chimney after time can begin to grow mold.  Mold is formed by water leaking into your chimney, and can grow as quickly as 24-48 hours if the moisture is not dried properly.  Mold can be all different colors and textures.  The Center for Disease Control has estimated that there are over 300,000 types of mold that exist. The CDC also confirms that mold causes health issues.

Exposure to mold can cause respiratory problems, as well as skin and eye irritations.

Exposure to mold can cause respiratory problems, as well as skin and eye irritations.

When you have a small area of mold it can be removed pretty easily.  However, mold can spread quickly and become more dangerous the longer it remains. Wet, humid weather is the best breeding ground for mold.  Toxic molds grow in places you may not be able to see, so if you begin to notice musty odors you should check for what could be causing them.  If your walls begin to become cracked, discolored, or the paint begins to peel off, you may have a mold problem as the moisture begins to impact the foundation of your home. Tiny gaps between your chimney and flue liner can allow destructive moisture in.

Blocked gutters and warped woods are other mold bearing places.  Even though these places may have no direct contact with your chimney, mold could eventually spread.  A small crack in a brick of your chimney could let in enough water to start molding.  This is another reason having your chimney inspected is important, other than general functionality.

Removing the mold as quickly as it appears is the best practice.  If the area doesn’t exceed three square feet than it is safe for you to remove yourself, but if it is any larger you should call a professional.  Always remember, there can be mold where you cannot see, but it still could be impacted the air quality of your home. A certified sweep is trained to look for all ways that water could find its way into your heating system, as this is a recipe for health concerns, poor heating and a threat to the structural integrity of your home.